Thursday, July 16, 2015

I lie.

I knew from the outset that I would get people asking me if this is my first child.  I had a plan.  I decided if I thought I'd see the person on a regular basis, and they asked directly, I would tell the truth.  And if they were just a random stranger I'd never see again, I'd save myself the grief and just lie.

But now that I'm big enough that anyone can plainly see I'm pregnant, I'm finding that it's always the random strangers who ask.  They're the ones who don't know any better and are just looking to make innocuous small talk.  Sometimes it feels like it happens every day.

So I lie, I lie, I lie.

I don't like it, and I wish people wouldn't ask, but I don't know how else to manage it.  I don't have the strength now to be pregnant and educate the general populace about babyloss, but every time I slap on a smile and tell the pretty lie, I can't help but feel badly that I've just passed the dilemma on to some other unsuspecting bereaved mom.

No comments :

Post a Comment